The churchThe church in Saint. Geyrac is doubtlessly the most important architectural structure in the village.
It is a “Listed” building, which means that it is part of the National Heritage. This also means that its environment and surroundings are protected, and that it is eligible for maintenance subventions from the State and the Département, under the auspices of the agency for Buildings of France.
Its doorway, certain interior archways and windows, testify to it being a XIII century church.
It is likely that at one stage it was capped by a cupola.
Modified throughout the ages, its architecture now bears more of a Gothic appearance. In the shape of a Roman Cross, 27 metres long and 7 metres wide, it features two internal chapels.
An attractive XVII or XVIII wooden altar was adorned on either side, with a statuette representing St. Peter and St. Paul.
These valued items were placed in safe keeping many years ago in the Museum of Religious Art in Chancelade.
Among other sacred items, a wooden statue of Christ, dating from the XVII century and the baptismal font from the XII century, can also be admired.
There are 3 significant stained glass windows.
The walls display many decorative motifs:
- To the West: a Bell on a shield with the name of GUOYOY, the owner of the foundry.
- To the East: a cross with the names of MARTIN and GOUYOT.
- To the North: a bishop.
- To the South: a maiden.
The bell and the towerAll church visitors; particularly to the St. Geyrac church, are naturally curious to learn more about the bell and the tower. You will need to climb up a narrow staircase of well worn steps! How many hob-nailed clogs have been planted on these treads over the centuries…? It is certainly a very large number. Suddenly, there it is, imposing, anchored on its beams. This is the Bell that announces the joys of life,( baptisms and marriages) but equally the sorrows of life (death).
Numerous inscriptions are engraved around its circumference, describing its history
The archives mention that in 1673, two bells sounded over Saint-Geyrac. This was the result of a contract being concluded then between the Commune and a Founder from Villeneuve in the Agen.
However in 1844, the Prefect of the Commune authorised the imposition of a tax intended to finance the re-casting of the bell; which leads one to believe that the bronze, from the other bell, which had chimed peacefully in the ears of the Saint-Geyracois, over many years, had been melted down…….to cast the cannons of the Revolution.